Saturday, September 26, 2015

Internship Diaries #17




Sanjo Jose
L&T Constructions, Buildings & Factories IC

I did my summer internship at the most respected construction company of India, “Larsen & Toubro Constructions” from May 8th to July 27th. During my internship, I traveled across the country to different L&T sites in major cities like Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai and Patna, Bihar.

It was a life filled with moments of happiness, sadness, enthusiasm, learning, passion and a lot more. I worked under the guidance and mentorship of Mr. T.K. Prem Kumar, DGM- Training and Development at L&T Constructions, Buildings & Factories Independent Company. He is a faculty and facilitator, specialized in OD Intervention, who travels across the country to various sites of L&T Construction and conducts Training programs on behavioral aspects for the L&T staff at their sites.
The OD Intervention at different sites were conducted in 4 main steps:
1. Conducting Training Need Analysis, where we understand the major issues faced by the site staff.
2. Developing the Training Module based on the issues faced by the staff.
3. Executing the Training Module or Conducting the Training Program at the site.
4. Follow up and Action Plan of the employees based on the inputs they obtained from the training program.

This structured approach is adopted in L&T Constructions to conduct OD Intervention in their sites. We did OD Intervention at 10 sites of L&T over the 3 months duration. Some other events which we conducted in this duration were the GET Induction Program in the first week of July for the newly joined 243 GET’s (Graduate Engineering Trainee) of L&T Constructions, B&F Independent Company. Also, we conducted a 2-day session on Negotiation Skills to selected staff of various sites in Chennai at HQ.

This was my first experience of corporate life, which gave me many leanings, both technically and behaviorally. I got an in-depth knowledge about different psychometric tools, especially FIRO-B (Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation – Behavior) and how to apply them in various life situations. FIRO-B helps an individual to understand self and others so that it becomes easy for a person to modify their behavior as per the demand of the situation. Also, we developed tools like, Wheel of Life, Values & Ethics, Team Building based on Life Cycle of Groups, Push, Pull and Move away, and Negotiation Skills which helped me to understand various behavioral tools and their application in human life.

This internship developed my soft skills, especially for Taking up Initiatives, Improving my IP Skills, Communication and Public speaking and above all has been a super motivation to my Confidence to face any life situations. I’m glad that I could work at a world-class organization like L&T, and take home a basket full of lessons for life, which will become a powerful incentive to guide my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment